How to Choose a Career in Nutrition

If you are interested in becoming a professional food health consultant, you will need to complete at least a bachelors of science in nutrition, including a particular focus on food service, food science, and nutrition. You must also earn at least a bachelors of science in food services, food hygiene, or food service systems management; a related field; or a specialized specialty.

Before taking on a university examination or course, decide whether you would like to become an R.D., or Registered Dietitian. The R.D. designation is typically required prior to a doctorate level study, which requires you to pass the Clinical Practice Examination (CPE) for your specialization. The CPE exams are offered by individual state boards.

Upon completion of your B.S.S. degree or higher, you will need to take an approved CPE examination that is based on your chosen specialization. A good example of this is the NNDSS Clinical Nutrition Specialist (C-CNSS), which is often taken when taking a master’s level course in nutrition. You should find out if there are any prerequisites for the C-CNSS before taking it. For instance, most state boards require that you have either earned a master’s degree in nutrition or have held a bachelor’s degree in nutrition, as well as at least three years of experience in the food service industry.

After earning your CPE or other nationally recognized clinical practice examination, you may be able to pursue either national or state certification, depending on the type of exam you completed. Most national certifications are available at an additional fee, while state certification examinations are usually provided for free. There are also programs designed to help people earn a state certification in nutrition, but these programs are not recognized nationally.

Once you have completed your B.S.S. in nutrition, you will need to take an approved CPE examination. After passing the examination, you will need to register with the National Board for Professional and Ethical Standards (NBPES), which certifies and regulates dietitians. You will need to meet minimum criteria for certification, which are typically a Bachelors of Science in Nutrition and at least two years of experience working in the food service industry. Additionally, you will need to have passed a national CPE examination. test and have a written evaluation, which will review your knowledge and skill in nutrition.

Another thing to consider when deciding how to start your career in the food and health care industry is to get certified in nutrition for nurses (SNN) or another health care certification. In addition, there are other specialties that offer specialized certification programs for nutrition, such as a Master of Science in Nutrition (MSN), a Master of Science in Health Services (MSHS) and a Master of Science in Nutrition Specialty (MSN). MSN and MSHS courses require more advanced training than basic requirements, while MSM programs are typically focused on nutrition as a career path.

Upon completion of your master’s degree or higher, you will need to take an exam that evaluates your skills and knowledge about nutrition. Again, these exams are often nationally recognized, and you will need to pass an accredited nationally recognized exam for either MSN or MSM certification.

After completing the exam, you will then need to renew your certification, which is typically a renewal exam for either a specific state board or the United States Board of Nutrition Examiners (USBNE). Renewing your certification will ensure that you are properly qualified to administer tests to others in the food service industry. It will also ensure that you are ready to take and pass nationally recognized examinations that assess your knowledge and skills about nutrition, especially for those who wish to specialize in a particular field.